Friday, April 22, 2011

Easter Eggs from Dad's Ties

It's funny.  I remeber standing in the foyer on Ardmore Road, in front of Dad as he stood at the full length mirror on the door of the open hall closet and tied his ties. I guess I watched the whole process backwards, and in awe: Dad in the mirror, flipping the tie around, pulling it through the knot, moving his neck side to side as he knotted his ties. He was a handsome daddy. I remember him in striped ties, mostly.  The ties we used for dying are his patterned ties. We did this last year, too.  Took Dad's old silk ties, cut them, wrapped them around eggs (silk side facing the egg) then wrapped the bundle in pieces of old white sheets, put them in a pan, covered them with cold water and 3 tablespoons of vinegar, bring the eggs to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes, cool and open the bundles. That is the best part, opening the eggs. In some places you see the pattern, inverted, I guess the same way I watched Dad tie the ties. In some places, you see the wrinkles of the wrapping. Lots of wrinkles.  Here are a few pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment